Last night I had a foretelling dream where I find myself alone with my dog at my Aunt Carol’s house. I am house-sitting. While there, a very small fire breaks out in one of the smaller bedrooms of the house. I notice the smoke and quickly go to extinguish the flames. An ember from the fire floats through the air and lands in another area of the house, which causes a second fire to break out. The flames begin spreading to different areas in this same manner. I finally manage to extinguish all the flames. I then go to let the dog out the back door of the house which was not damaged by the flames. As I’m standing there waiting for the dog to return from doing his business, I look down the street through the kitchen window and notice that all the homes in this area have burned down. All that is remaining of the neighbor’s house is the chard wooden frame of what was once their former house. Apparently these same embers made their way through the air to propagate themselves. I feel terrible that my inability to act quickly has caused this to happen. My aunt comes home and apologetically I tell her that I’m sorry for what I have done. She responds by tells me that this is a great opportunity for her to rebuild her home.
As I awoke from the dream, I could see smoke in my bedroom. I thought…”Oh my, this dream is prophetic. My house is burning!” I quickly got up and looked around to see if I could figure out where the smoke was coming from but I could not smell smoke and the smoke alarms were not sounding. I quickly realized that what I was seeing was merely hynagogic images or remnants of the dream that had lingered on after my awakening.
Oddly enough when I got to work sitting at the top of my inbox was an email I had received from my friend Ed Gurski which was titled, “House Fires—PLEASE READ!!!”. Here is the content of that email.
Subject: HOUSE FIRES– PLEASE READ!!!!
House fires–please read!!!!!Received from a friend who is in the insurance property business. It is well worth reading.This is one of those e-mails that if you don’t send it, rest assured someone on your list will suffer for not reading it. The original message was written by a lady whose brother and wife learned a hard lesson this past week.Their house burnt down.. nothing left but ashes. They have good insurance s o the house will be replaced and most of the contents. That is the good news.
However, they were sick when they found out the cause of the fire. The insurance investigator sifted through the ashes for several hours. He had the cause of the fire traced to the master bathroom. He asked her sister-in-law what she had plugged in the bathroom. She listed the normal things….curling iron, blow dryer. He kept saying to her, ‘No, this would be something that would disintegrate at high temperatures’. Then her sister-in-law remembered she had a Glade Plug-In, in the bathroom.
The investigator had one of those ‘Aha’ moments. He said that was the cause of the fire. He said he has seen more house fires started with the plug-in type room fresheners than anything else. He said the plastic they are made from is THIN. He also said that in every case there was nothing left to prove that it even existed. When the investigator looked in the wall plug, the two prongs left from the plug-in were still in there.
Her sister-in-law had one of the plug-ins that had a small night light built in it. She said she had noticed that the light would dim and then finally go out. She would walk in to the bathroom a few hours later, and the light would be back on again. The investigator said that the unit was getting too hot, and would dim and go out rather than just blow the light bulb. Once it cooled down it would come back on. That is a warning sign
The investigator said he personally wouldn’t have any type of plug in fragrance device anywhere in his house. He has seen too many places that have been burned down due to them.
PLEASE PASS THIS ON TO ALL THE
PEOPLE IN YOUR ADDRESS BOOK.
NOT ONLY COULD IT SAVE SOMEONE’S HOUSE
BUT IT COULD SAVE SOMEONE’S LIFE.
You better believe I quickly sent sent this to everyone in my addressbook. Better safe than sorry. The image I used for this post is the actual image that was attached to Ed’s email.